( Sinhala ) (Tamil) ( English )
Full text of the speech made by His Excellency the President Gotabaya Rajapaksa at the National Ranaviru Day commemorations on May 19th 2020.
Reverend Maha Sanga representing Maha Nayaka Theros and Anu Nayaka Theros of Malwatta and Asgiriya Chapters, Amarapura and Ramannya Nikayas,
His Eminence Cardinal,
Hindu Kurukkal leader, Islam Mowlawi,
· Hon. Mahinda Rajapaksa, former President and the Prime Minister of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka,
· Hon. Maithripala Sirisena, former President of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka,
· Admiral of the Fleet Wasantha Karannagoda,
· Marshal of the Air Force Roshan Gunatilleke, Governor of the Western Province
· Secretary to the President,
· Secretary Defence,
· Chief of Defence Staff and Commander of the Sri Lanka Army, Commander of the Sri Lanka Navy, Commander of the Sri Lanka Air Force,
· Acting Inspector General of Police, Director General of the Department of Civil Defence,
· Distinguished guests,
· War heroes of Army, Navy, Air Force, Police and Civil Defence,
· Dear parents, wives, sons and daughters of war heroes,
May 19th is a very important milestone in the history of Sri Lanka.
11 years ago on a day like this, on May 19th 2009, we completely defeated the separatist terrorism which had been a curse to the country for nearly 30 years.
It was President Mahinda Rajapaksa who gave the leadership for this battle in his capacity as the Commander-in-Chief.
With the end of terrorism, an environment where people could live without fear or anxiety and enjoy their human rights freely was created.
After a period of 30 years, we ensured democracy and build an atmosphere where free and fair elections could be held.
The atmosphere where people can travel freely without any restrictions to any place of the country was restored.