- One of the parties to the marriage should be a Sri Lankan Citizen and should give Notice of Marriage to the Embassy. (Forms are available at the Embassy).
- The marriage may be registered in the Embassy after a lapse of twelve (12) working days from the date of receipt of the Notice of Marriage and within three (03) months from such date.
- The Embassy charges a fee of US $ 40.00 for the registration of a marriage and the registration of a marriage under Special License.
- Valid passports of both parties should be produced.
- Two (02) witnesses with photo identification documents should also be present.
- The originals of the following documents are required for the registration of a marriage:
- Bachelor Certificate
- Notice of Marriage
- Proof of Residence
- Fee of $ 40.00. (Money order or Certified Cheque)
Marriage between two Sri Lankan Citizens
Both parties should obtain a Bachelor Certificate issued by the Grama Niladari (Village Headman) in the applicant’s city/village, which should be endorsed by the Divisional Secretary and thereafter by the Consular Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Colombo 03.
Marriage between a Sri Lankan citizen and non – Sri Lankan Citizen
- Bachelor Certificates should be obtained by the Sri Lanka Citizen . (Procedure is the same as above.)
- The other party to the marriage is required to obtain a Bachelor Certificate from the Embassy of his/her country.
For further details please contact the Consular Division of this Mission.
- This Embassy is not responsible for any document lost in the post.
- Submission of forged documents and making false declarations relating to citizenship is a punishable offence.
- Fees will not be refunded in these circumstances.
- Incomplete applications will be rejected.