Empowering Young Women and Girls: Unlocking capabilities through coordinated action
Young women and girls with disabilities face multiple discrimination and are often exposed to increased vulnerabilities. Addressing the specific needs of young women and girls with disabilities and eliminating barriers that prevent them from realizing their full potential will require a targeted and nuanced response.
The Permanent Missions of the United Arab Emirates and the United States to the United Nations in partnership with UN Women, UNICEF and the Pineda Foundation / World Enabled will convene an expert discussion to share good practices, discuss main challenges and propose actionable measures to promote the development, advancement and empowerment of young women and girls with disabilities.
Key objectives: The discussion will focus on individual agency and leadership of young women and girls with disabilities, and will illustrate how member states to the CRPD, civil society and other UN entities can coordinate their efforts to achieve meaningful results, with a particular focus on the interconnected areas of education, work and employment, as well as full inclusion and participation in communities.
By bringing together experts representing different stakeholders, this dialogue aims to build a foundation for meaningful partnerships, stimulate actions and identify a set of concrete policy recommendations.
Format and speakers: A panel of distinguished Member State and UN representatives will engage with leading international experts in a moderated discussion.
- Dr. Victor Pineda, President of Pineda Foundation / World ENABLED
Welcome remarks by:
- Ambassador Lana Nusseibeh, Permanent Representative of the United Arab Emirates to the UN
- Lakshmi Puri, Deputy Executive Director of UN Women
- Judith Heumann, Senior Advisor, U.S. Department of State
- Charlotte McClain- Nhlapo, Disability Advisor, World Bank
- Stephanie Ortoleva, President, Women Enabled International
- Patty Alleman, Senior Gender and Development Specialist, UNICEF
- Sara Minkara, Chief Executive Officer, Empowerment through Integration
- Casar Jacobson, Entrepreneur
Kindly RSVP by Email to Ms. Alejandra Chaidez at email@example.com