Thursday, 20 January 2022
- At the outset, I wish to extend my sincere appreciation to you, Ambassador Zhang Jun and Permanent Mission of People’s Republic of China, for hosting this important virtual Launch of the Group of Friends of Global Development Initiative. I share the sentiments expressed earlier by the previous speakers and echo Lao PDR’s full support to this important initiative.
- Despite significant progress made over years, many countries have continued to encounter numerous challenges in order to achieve our common goals and the implementation of many SDGs remain off-track as COVID-19 pandemic has caused negative impact on social and economic development. Like other countries, being both an LDC and landlocked, Lao PDR is facing multiple challenges during this ongoing pandemic due to stringent lockdown and the current wave of outbreak has further affected development in all aspects.
- We are of the view that, this Global Development Initiative offers a great opportunity to reinvigorate our common efforts towards achieving the 2030 Agenda, which has been hampered by numerous constraints. Therefore, it is timely that the Global Development Initiative introduced by President Xi Jinping has provided a new platform for cooperation for developing countries to synergize our collective efforts by working closely together to tackle the ongoing challenges and move towards a sustainable development path especially during the post COVID recovery period and regain the good momentum in addressing global poverty, which has been on the rise.
- Lao PDR stands ready to cooperate with China and other co-founding partners to jointly implement this GDI and looks forward to its concrete outcome. At country level, Lao PDR has incorporated the SDGs into its national socio-economic development plans since their adoption in 2015. Nevertheless, the lack of sufficient means of implementation has hindered the progress to attain many of the set goals and targets. Therefore, through this new initiative, we can work together to accelerate our common efforts at global, regional and national levels in a more concerted manner.
- I wish to conclude by reiterating the Lao PDR’s full commitment and support to the implementation of the Global Development Initiative and we are proud and honored to be among the founding members of the Group of Friends of GDI. We look forward to concrete follow-ups with our friends and partners throughout the implementation process and stand ready to fulfill our obligations and actively contribute to this important endeavor. I Thank You.