CEREMONY FOR THE PRESENTATION OF CREDENTIALS TO THE GOVERNOR-GENERAL BY GROUP
Tuesday, 20 December 2016
- On arrival at King’s House, each Head of Mission-designate is greeted under the portico by the Director of Protocol/or representative and escorted to the Entrance Hall, where they are greeted by the Aide-de-Camp (ADC) to the Governor-General before being escorted by the Director of Protocol and the ADC to the Morning Room for final briefing. A Protocol officer escorts spouses and members of staff to the Drawing Room, where they will be seated behind the seats to be occupied by Heads of Mission-designate.
- Following the briefing, the Heads of Mission-designate are led by the Director of Protocol into the Drawing Room to their seats.
- The ADC escorts the Governor-General and spouse into the Drawing Room and to their seats.
- The Master of Ceremonies welcomes the Designates, their spouses and members of their staff and invites the Governor-General to the nearest lectern to deliver his address. The Governor-General then takes up his position at the far left of the Drawing Room beside the Jamaican flag. The flag representing the country of the first Designate will be to the right of the Jamaican flag.
- The Master of Ceremonies introduces the Director of Protocol who proceeds to announce each Head of Mission-designate (in order of precedence) and their accompanying delegation members for presentation to the Governor-General. When the Head of Mission-designate’s name is announced, he/she stands, walks towards the Governor-General and presents his/her Credentials, making a very brief statement to His Excellency conveying greetings from his/her Head of State and expressing confidence in the good relations between his/her respective country and Jamaica. An official photograph is taken.
- The Head of Mission returns to his/her seat while the Governor-General hands the Credentials to the ADC, who places them on the table to his left. During this time an assigned officer replaces the country flag of the Head of Mission with the country flag of the next Designate Head.
- Each Head of Mission-designate returns to his/her seat following presentation. When all have presented their credentials, the ADC escorts the Governor-General and his spouse to the Morning Room opposite the Drawing Room to receive the Heads and their spouses. A protocol officer will escort the accompanying members of staff to the Entrance Hall downstairs to await their Heads of Mission.
- The Director of Protocol takes up his/her position to the right of entry to the Morning Room to receive each Head of Mission for introduction to the Governor-General. A protocol officer escorts the Heads of Mission and spouse, one at a time, to the Director of Protocol, who presents each to the Governor-General. The Governor-General invites each Head of Mission to sign the Visitor’s Book. An official photograph will be taken. The Governor-General and spouse informally interact (30 minutes) with all the Heads of Mission. Light refreshment will be served.
- At the end of the meeting, the Governor-General bids farewell to the Heads of Mission and their spouses. The Director of Protocol escorts the Heads of Mission and spouses to the Entrance Hall for departure. The Director escorts each Head of Mission and spouse to their waiting protocol vehicle under the portico and bids them farewell in their order of precedence. Awaiting members of staff are bid farewell and depart in their respective vehicles.