> back to news
09 January 2007
2 RP POLICE OFFICERS IN HAITI COMMENDED
FOR ROLE IN CAPTURING KIDNAP SUSPECT
NEW YORK—The Philippine Mission to the United Nations today commended two Filipino police officers serving with the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH) for capturing a kidnap-for-ransom gang member who earlier figured in a shootout with local police.
Ambassador Lauro L. Baja, Philippine Permanent Representative to the United Nations, cited Inspectors Godofredo Ergo and Daniel Rosete, members of the Philippine National Police Contingent serving with MINUSTAH, for their role in the January 2 operation that led to the capture of the suspect.
"I wish to commend Mr. Ergo and Mr. Rosete for a job well done," Ambassador Baja said. "Their actions on 2 January demonstrate the kind of professionalism and commitment we expect to see in every Filipino police officer we send out to take part in a United Nations peacekeeping mission."
Ergo and Rosete, who both serve as technical advisers to the Haitian National Police, are among the 41 PNP officers deployed by the Philippines to help the UN rebuild the capacity of the local police force. It could be recalled that in November, Ergo sustained slight injuries after he and another UN police officer were attacked by anti-UN demonstrators in Port-au-Prince.
A report from Senior Supt. Lester Camba, commander of the PNP contingent in Haiti, said Ergo personally captured Frantz Cajuste, 22, after leading Haitian police in room-to-room clearing operations at the Digicel Compound along Rue Jean Paul II near College Canadu-Haitene, Port-au-Prince.
Rosete, on the other hand, led another team of Haitian policemen in sealing off the area thus preventing the suspect from escaping. The suspect was bleeding from a bullet wound in the chest sustained in the earlier shootout when captured inside one of the rooms. He yielded a handgun.
It was not immediately known if the Cajuste was a member of the kidnap-for-ransom gang involved in the abduction of two Filipinos in Port-au-Prince last year. The two were abducted by unidentified gunmen near Cite Soleil but were released after the kidnappers were paid an undetermined amount of money.
Their abduction came a year after another Filipino was kidnapped by armed men who freed him only after they were paid an unspecified sum of money.
Philippine Center Building | 556 5th Avenue