ETA process fee has been revised and the new fee schedule will be effective from December 28, 2015 click here to see the ETA Process Fee.
With effect from 1st January 2012, all Holiday or Business travelers to Sri Lanka must have a valid Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) to enter in to Sri Lanka. Please visit http://www.eta.gov.lk for more information.
The ETA requirement is applicable to all nationalities except nationals of the Republic of Maldives, the Republic of Singapore and the Republic of Seychelles, who on the basis of reciprocity, are exempt from this requirement.
The ojective of the Sri Lankan visa is to facilitate the legal entry of non-Sri Lankans into Sri Lanka and to regulate the period and conditions governing their stay.
The competent authority for issuing Sri Lankan visas is the Department of Immigration and Emigration. On behalf of the Department of Immigration and Emigration, Sri Lanka diplomatic missions abroad have been authorized to issue visas.
What are the general eligibility requirements for Sri Lankan visas?
Sri Lanka Immigration and Emigration may issue a visa to you if:
- it is satisfied that you are suitable to enter Sri Lanka.
- it approves the purpose for which you are entering Sri Lanka.
- you hold a passport valid for a minimum period of six months from the date you arrive in Sri Lanka.
- it is satisfied that you have adequate funds for your stay in Sri Lanka and for the payment
- of your return passage to the country which issued your passport
- you are in possession of a return air ticket to the country of domicile or a visa to the next country of destination.
Who is eligible for visa exemption?
- Sri Lankan dual citizens
- Children born to Sri Lankan parents whose birth have been registered under section 5(2) of Citizenship Act – 1948 up to 21 years of age.
- Children born in Sri Lanka to Sri Lankan parents under 21 years of age, now living abroad.
(Please select the visa category)
N.B The validity of the passport must be at least six months beyond the date of entry into Sri Lanka.
Online Visa Application to Sri Lanka
All citizens of the United States and Mexico planning for short visits to Sri Lanka are required to obtain Visa for the purpose. The visa should be applied online though Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) system on www.eta.gov.lk.
The above is applied for all non U.S. citizens other than the citizens of Maldives and Singapore irrespective of the country of their residence.
Guide to ETA Application Process
01. If your intended visit to Sri Lanka is a short-visit please log on to www.eta.gov.lk and click on Apply to start the application process.
* What is a Short-visit? [Click Here]
* How to submit an application? [Click Here]
02. Fill out the required details and submit the application after paying the online processing fee of US$ 30 applicable for United States and Mexican citizens above 12 years of age. Only Visa, Master and American Express Cards are accepted
* More details on ETA processing fees [Click Here]
* Exceptions for ETA [Click Here]
03. You may be required to pay the visa fee when you are applying visa for a period more than 30 days as applicable. The Visa fee when applicable can be paid online, or at the port of entry to Sri Lanka or to the nearest Sri Lanka mission.
* More details of Visa fees [Click Here]
04. Receive the acknowledgment notice sent to your email
* View sample acknowledgment notice [Click Here]
05. Receive the approval notice or a referral notice in case of your ETA application being rejected sent your email within 24 hours upon the receipt of your acknowledgement notice.
* View ample approval notice [Click Here]
06. If you receive a referral notice informing that your ETA application has been rejection please contact the consular section of the Permanent Mission of Sri Lanka for further assistance.
* View samples of referral notices
* Notice 1 – [Click Here]
* Notice 2 – [Click Here]
* Notice 3 – [Click Here]
* Notice 4 – [Click Here]
* Notice 5 – [Click Here]
07. In case you did not receive the approval notice or a referral note after 24 hours upon the receipt of your acknowledgement notice you can check the status of your ETA application on the following:
* Log on to ETA website and enter your confirmation code and passport number –[Click Here]
* Or contact 24/7 dedicated ETA call center on 00 94 71 99 67 888
08. Please keep a copy of the ETA approval notice to be produced at the port of entry in Sri Lanka with the following:
* A passport valid not less than 6 months from the date of arrival
* A confirmed return ticket
* Sufficient funds to meet the expenses
The ETA is initially limited upto 30 days from the date of arrival and it can be extended up to six months [Click Here]
09. Diplomatic and Official Visits – Citizens of United States, Mexico and U.N. Passport holders in the United States, planning to visit Sri Lanka on official purposes should submit their ETA applications to the Department of Immigration and Emigration through the Permanent Mission of Sri Lanka to the United Nations, New York.
10. If required, you can still submit your ETA applications through the nearest Sri Lanka Mission.