Residence visa is issued to non-Sri Lankans to whom it has been decided to extend residence facilities for the purpose of investment or otherwise, in circumstances where the prescribed authority is satisfied that their stay in Sri Lanka and the pursuit of their vocations are not prejudicial to the best interests of Sri Lanka.
To obtain a residence visa, the applicant must enter Sri Lanka on an entry visa issued by a Sri Lanka diplomatic mission abroad. Entry visa will be issued by the Embassy only upon approval by the Controller General of Immigration and Emigration. The applicant must clearly state that he/she wishes to apply for a residence visa when applying for the entry visa and submit the necessary supporting documents.
A tourist visa cannot be converted into a residence visa.
For more information on residence visa, please visit http://www.immigration.gov.lk
- Entry visa application (Click to download)
- A copy of the entry visa approval notice of the Department of Immigration & Emigration of Sri Lanka
- Two passport-size photographs
- Passport – n.b. The validity of the passport must be at least six months beyond the date of entry in to Sri Lanka.
- Visa fee of US$ 100 (Payable by money order/bank certified check or cash in favor of the Permanent Mission of Sri Lanka) An additional US$ 20 is charged to return the passport to the applicant by post.)
Processing time: 1-2 business days (only when the entry visa approval notice is available)