An Emergency travel document valid for six months may be issued to enable a Sri Lankan national to return to Sri Lanka in case of an emergency in the following circumstances.
* The original passport is lost
* The original passport is expired
a. A letter requesting an Emergency passport
b. Duly filled Application (Click here for Application form K)
c. Form D (If passport is lost) (Click here for form D)
d. Three Photographs (Color, 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm or 2” x 2” )
e. Expired passport or if lost copy of lost passport
f. Original Birth Certificate
g. Police report (If passport is lost)
h. Citizenship Certificate (If the applicant is a citizen by registration).
i. Certified photocopy of valid permanent resident card (If the applicant is a permanent resident in the USA).
THE PRESCRIBED FEE:
a. If applicant produces the previous travel document $ 50.00
b. If previous travel document is lost $ 150.00
*If the return of the passport is desired by mail, applicants may choose one of the following options and make payment together with the application fees as follows,
Federal Express – $ 20.00
US Postal Express mail – $ 18.00
International mailing fee – $ 35.00 (for applicants from Aruba and Mexico)
Fees may be paid by cash (only if application is hand delivered). The money orders or certified checks should be made in favor of ” Permanent Mission of Sri Lanka”
Please note that personal checks will not be accepted.
PROCESSING TIME - Less than a week
INSTRUCTIONS FOR FILING APPLICATIONS
1. Application should be filled preferably in BLOCK letters
2. Three photographs should be furnished as specified in the application. Please ensure that the signatures are confined to the cages provided immediately below the photographs.
3. The photographs, signature and declaration of the applicant can be attested by a Notary, Medical Practitioner, Solicitor, Chief incumbent of Sri Lankan temple, Professor of University or a person of similar status living in the USA.
4. The photograph should be clear, good quality, fresh (current picture) , without spectacles and with open ears.
5. The application and original documents should be submitted along with photocopies.
* This Embassy is not responsible for any document lost in the post
* Submission of forged documents and making false declarations relating to citizenship is a punishable offence. Fees will not be refunded in these circumstances.
* Incomplete applications will be returned and consular fees will not be refunded.
* According to the Sri Lankan Immigrations Regulations, Sri Lankan Citizens who have applied and gained refugee status or asylum in the USA are not entitled to a Sri Lankan passport and also to renew validity of their existing passports. However, temporary travel documents will be issued to the following categories of Sri Lankans for the sole purpose of returning to Sri Lanka.
* Those who have applied for refugee or asylum status and awaiting decision of the US government.
* Those who have applied for refugee or asylum status but have subsequently withdrawn their applications.
* Those who have given up their refugee or asylum status and decided to return to Sri Lanka.
* Those whose applications for asylum or refugee status have been rejected by the US government in which such status has been sought.
HOW TO SUBMIT THE APPLICATION
You can submit the application to the consular division of the Permanent Mission by post or by hand. The Consular Division is open from Monday to Friday (9am to 5pm) The physical and mailing address is as follows,
Permanent Mission of Sri Lanka to the United Nations
820, Second Avenue
New York, N.Y. 10017