United Nations Welcome to the United Nations. It's your world.
  • العربية
  • 简体中文
  • English
  • Français
  • Русский
  • Español

We are trying to achieve peace and reach a solution for more than five years in every possible way in order to find a way to disentangle this knot that is Kosovo and Metohija, said today President of Serbia, Aleksandar Vučić

Date: 
Wednesday, 28 March 2018

On the day marking the anniversary of Pogrom in Kosovo and Metohija, he declared in his address that the first six, of total 15 points of the Brussels Agreement pertain to the Community of the Serbian Municipalities.

“For five years now, someone does not want for this to be implemented. We did not believe that the Albanians would do anything to benefit the Serbs. If the EU wanted for CSM to be established, if the international community wanted it – their condition for visa liberalization for Priština would imply the establishment of the CSM, not the demarcation with Montenegro”, Vučić noted.

For Kosovo, only compromise is a solution, or there won’t be one and that’s it

If they decide that they did not want to make a compromise, there won’t be a solution and that’s it, informed President Aleksandar Vučić.

“We will continue talking with Albanians and we will try to resolve our problems – no matter the fact that I do not trust them in the slightest. But, we do not have other choice”, Vučić stated, during his address, pertaining to the topic of Kosovo and Metohija – which represents a key political issue of our country – and devastating demographic condition, which is a major problem for our state, as he previously noted.

“The talk and the dialogue are the most important, if we want to find a compromise solution. If they decide that they do not want to make a compromise, there won’t be a solution and that’s it”, he declared.

He stated that he stands ready to listen to everyone who shows him some other choice, as long as this individual is familiar with every aspect related to this issue.

He holds his position, reiterating that he will present the solution for the issue of Kosovo and Metohija in April, being that he always, as he said, stays true to everything he says and added that he would always keep for himself the possibility to slow or speed something up due to specific nature of the foreign policy situation.

“I will most certainly do this and naturally, take the responsibility for my actions”, he underscored.

His opinion about the solution for the issue of Kosovo and Metohija, and what he means by this compromise solution, he will confer believing that the decisions ought to be made in a more rational manner, instead of emotional, and that we should be worrying more about the future than the past, advising that the citizens will be the ones who decide about everything.

As he said, he will “continue to do things his way” because he has Serbia and it’s interests in mind, noting that his aim is not to please the people.

“It is my duty to say to the people what I think about everything that has been going on. I lie to no one, I tell the most powerful men everything I have in mind which is why I am being held in high regard as the President of Serbia throughout the world, because they know I always act in Serbia’s interest”, Vučić said.

As he noted, “he will tell to the public” what he thinks the compromise solution should imply, adding that he will be attacked on every step because of that, but nonetheless, he will be standing ready to explain thoroughly his every opinion and every proposal.

Vučić noted that he worries over us making emotional, rather than rational decisions, and over us being more proud of our past, instead of focusing on our future.

“No problem – whether alone or with everyone, I will continue to push on no matter the cost, but the people has to decide whether they accept this or not”, Vučić cautioned.

When asked if the referendum is to be held regarding this issue, Vučić replied that any amendment to Constitution requires this step to be made and that, naturally, the people will decide about everything.

“And I won’t be displeased if it’s me that has to be the one who leaves and stands aside, because it is my duty to do what I think is best for Serbia, as opposed to think about the ways to please the people”, the President of Serbia informed.

Vučić: I am going to participate in the dialogue in Brussels on March 23, but without any expectations

President of Serbia, Aleksandar Vučić said today that he is going to Brussels to continue the dialogue with Priština on March 23, but without any expectations, adding that his job is to protect Serbia’s interests, our state and our future.

“We wait for the establishment of the Community of Serbian Municipalities or an offer for a compromise solution for the issue of Kosovo and Metohija”, he declared during the press conference, which was held after his address regarding the topic of demographic situation.

In almost every meeting everyone expects from us to do something for someone else, he said.

“There is nothing new to be done on our part for anyone, aside from waiting for CSM to be established or an offer for a compromise solution for the issue of Kosovo and Metohija”, he pointed out.

Vučić underlined that he will nonetheless travel to Brussels, because it is his duty to talk.

“I think that no one in Serbia has a dilemma when it comes to me being firm in protecting our interests, taking compromise into consideration rather than protecting our myths – protecting our future and our state. That’s what my job is”, he reiterated.

He said that he retorts to rougher and harsher words during these meetings, and that the people in positions are familiar with this approach of his.

“Brave people are being courageous in places which demand for such an approach, but not before you or anyone else”, he stressed out.

Also, when asked if he plans to hold his position regarding his statement that the solution for the issue of Kosovo and Metohija will be presented in April, he underlined that he stays true to everything he says, adding that he would always keep for himself the possibility to slow or speed something up due to specific nature of the foreign policy situation.

“I will most certainly do this and naturally, take the responsibility for my actions”, he concluded.

Vučić called the Serbs to refrain from participating in the establishment of Kosovo Army

President of Serbia, Aleksandar Vučić, called the Serbs in Kosovo and Metohija to refrain from participating in the establishment of Kosovo Army.

During the press conference, Vučić declared that the Priština’s authorities are sending its people to Serbian environments offering Serbian young men money in exchange for them to join their army.

“I cannot tell you everything right now…”, Vučić stated.

Recalling the statement of the American ambassador, William Montgomery, he said that Serbia should not accept the establishment of Kosovo Army whatever the cost, but rather to insist on previous position of the USA when it comes to this issue, that is – to say “no” to Kosovo Army. He nonetheless thanked Montgomery for demonstrating a correct approach and for telling – which certainly is - the truth.

The President pointed out that Serbia cannot warrant the establishment of Kosovo Army.

“They do not only go to the Serbian environments in the south, but also in the north, and buy off young men. They say – here, take this money, join the army. We are facing this and we talk with Serbs in Kosovo and Metohija”, Vučić said.

He added that he did not want to react to the remark of the American official, Wess Mitchell, who stated that Kosovo Army, with Serbs in it, would not pose a threat to Serbia.

“Really? Someone else establishes an army in the territory of Serbia, in which the Serbs would participate… What, like in the period of Austro-Hungary and Ottoman Empire – to fight amongst ourselves, us the Serbs…?”, Vučić asked.

Due to that reason, he called the Serbs to refrain from participating in establishment of Kosovo Army, both the ones in south and in the north of the province, and to help this way in resolving the issue of Kosovo and Metohija.

“They have to act responsibly, to take care for themselves and their safety, not to participate in establishment of state authorities of someone else’s country, without reaching an agreement with Serbia on any issue whatsoever”, Vučić underlined.

He mentioned that he cannot talk about the details regarding the investigation on the assassination of Oliver Ivanović, adding that our intelligence services will announce their findings in 15 days, as well as what kind of information they could not obtain.

“I did not want to talk about this today. I did not want for someone to tell me that I was misusing this tragedy. The intelligence services will present their findings in two weeks – what they have found out and what they have not, and I think that there will be many surprised individuals. Even those who had their prior suspicions about who the guilty party could be”, Vučić declared.