Menus 13-17

VIP Passes

Heads of State or Government, Crown Princes, Vice-Presidents and spouses thereof are not subject to the above-mentioned procedure. Special VIP passes without photograph are issued upon the request of the corresponding missions.

            Ministers for Foreign Affairs, cabinet ministers and spouses will be issued special VIP passes upon request to the Chief of Protocol, provided that the Chief of Protocol receives in advance two colour passport-size photographs of the above-mentioned dignitaries so that the passes can be ready upon their arrival. All VIP passes must be collected from the Protocol and Liaison Service by a member of the mission.

            Members of the parties of visiting dignitaries will be issued the appropriate pass, once the application (form SG.6) has been authorized and submitted in person to the Pass and ID Office for processing.

            United Nations building passes, both VIP and regular, are the property of the United Nations and should be surrendered to the Protocol and Liaison Service upon departure from New York of the diplomat, spouse or support staff member through the corresponding permanent/observer missions.

            Representatives of the media should submit their requests for passes to the Media Accreditation and Liaison Unit (Room S-0250).


Protocol Passes

Guests of Permanent Representatives/Observers require Protocol passes for entry in the Headquarters premises. Protocol passes will be issued upon applying in advance in writing and submitting the name and title of the guest to the Chief of Protocol, who will review each case independently. If the pass is required for more than one day, two colour passport-size photographs should be submitted to the Protocol and Liaison Service. Protocol passes will not be issued to those who attend regularly scheduled calendar meetings held at Headquarters.


Composition of Governments of Member/observer States

Permanent missions of all Member/observer States are requested to inform the Secretary-General through the Protocol and Liaison Service about the composition of their respective Governments and of all changes thereof. Communications from the missions on this subject serve as the basis for all official correspondence between the United Nations and the Governments of respective Member States. Therefore, missions should pay the utmost attention to the spelling of the names and the correct rendering of the official titles and the effective date of their tenure of office. Considerations of protocol and social etiquette demand that the names of the spouses of the Head of State and Head of Government and Ministers for Foreign Affairs also be listed.

            The Protocol and Liaison Service keeps an up-to-date reference list of the Governments of all Member States with official titles of the respective Heads of State and Government and Ministers for Foreign Affairs. This information is available upon request.


Change of Official Name of a Member State or a National Flag

Permanent missions of Member States are requested to inform the Chief of Protocol of any change in the official name of their respective State or flag.

            In the event of a change in the national flag, the Permanent Representative or the charg�� d'affaires a.i. must inform the Chief of Protocol of the change by letter, with a description and interpretation of the colours of the new flag and the effective date that the new flag is to be flown at the United Nations. A sample of the new flag corresponding to the United Nations flag dimensions of 4 feet by 6 feet for outdoor must also be sent to the Chief of Protocol.


National Holidays

Permanent/observer missions are requested to inform the Protocol and Liaison Service of any changes concerning the date and designation of the national holiday of their respective countries. Forthcoming special observances should be conveyed to the Protocol and Liaison Service by the permanent mission. On the occasion of the national holiday, cable messages from the Secretary-General will be sent to the Head of State or to the Governor-General.