Wednesday, 20 September 2023
- The Rt. Hon. Prime Minister Mr. Pushpa Kamal Dahal 'Prachanda' delivered a statement today during the UN High-Level Meeting on Pandemic Prevention, Preparedness and Response (PPPR), convened on the sidelines of the 78th Session of the United Nations General Assembly. The High-level meeting was organized under the theme “Making the World Safer: Creating and Maintaining Political Momentum and Solidarity for Pandemic Prevention, Preparedness and Response”.
- In his statement, the Rt. Hon. Prime Minister underscored the need to ensure that the post pandemic recovery and revival is quick and uniform as poor and the Least developed countries are struggling hard to catch up with the pace with others. Stating that Nepal is effortful to strengthen its public health architecture, he said that Nepal is willing to work in solidarity with international community. He stressed the need for multi-stakeholder, multi-sectoral, and the whole of society approach to pandemic prevention and response.
- Similarly, the Rt. Hon. Prime Minister addressed the Climate Ambition Summit held on the sidelines of the 78th Session of the UNGA this morning. Speaking in the capacity of the Chair of the Group of Least Developed Countries (LDCs), the Rt. Hon. Prime Minister called for effective implementation of the Doha Program of Action (DPOA), putting resilience & risk-informed development at the core, doubling adaptation finance by 2025 and fulfillment of $100B climate commitment.
- Speaking in the national capacity, the Prime Minister affirmed Nepal’s commitment to Paris Agreement on Climate Change and the national goal to reach net-zero by 2045. He also stated that Nepal is pleased to be part of UN Secretary-General’s Adaptation Pipeline Accelerator and Early Warnings Initiatives and assure its full support and commitment to these initiatives.
- Likewise, Rt. Hon. Prime Minister also delivered a statement in the capacity of the chair of the Group of LDCs in the roundtable of the High-level Dialogue on Financing for Development entitled “Innovative Solutions to Unlock SDG Investments’ held on the sidelines of the 78th Session of the UNGA this afternoon. He urged the developed countries to fulfill their commitment of 0.2% ODA/GNI along with the increase of the grant component. He emphasized that concessional financing should be scaled up and the stark inequity in SDR allocation must be corrected to increase the financial safety net of LDCs. In addition, he also called for meeting the climate finance commitments.
- A number of heads of state, heads of government as well as the high-level dignitaries attended these meetings and delivered their statements.
- The Rt. Hon. Prime Minister had a meeting with the Prime Minister of Norway H. E. Jonas Gahr Støre on the sidelines of the UNGA78. They discussed ways to further strengthen bilateral relations & multilateral cooperation.
- The Rt. Hon. Prime Minister also had an interaction program with the Nepali diaspora at the Consulate General of Nepal in New York this evening.
- Minister for Foreign Affairs Hon. N P Saud put his signature to the ‘BBNJ Agreement' at the UN Headquarters today. With this, Nepal is one of the pioneer signatory states from the LLDCs to sign the Agreement during the treaty event 2023.
- Similarly, Hon. Foreign Minister also attended the 18th Ministerial Meeting of Asian Cooperation Dialogue (ACD) held on the margins of the UNGA78. The meeting was held under the theme of “Post-Pandemic Sustainable Recovery.” Hon. Minister expressed hope that ACD will play a significant role in strengthening mutual trust, forging common understanding, and promoting cooperation and collaboration among the Member States for peace, stability, shared development, and prosperity of the Asian nations. Delivering his statement in the meeting, Hon. Foreign Minister affirmed that Nepal attaches high priority to regional processes, including the ACD and is ready to contribute to the ACD.
Permanent Mission of Nepal to the United Nations
20 September 2023