Tuesday, 19 September 2023
- Rt. Hon. Prime Minister Mr. Pushpa Kamal Dahal 'Prachanda' participated in the opening of the High-Level General Debate of the 78th Session of the United Nations General Assembly today. A number of Heads of State, Heads of Government, and high-level dignitaries from different countries are attending the General Debate of the 78th Session of UNGA, being held from September 19 to 26, 2023, under the theme “Rebuilding trust and reigniting global solidarity: Accelerating action on the 2030 Agenda and its Sustainable Development Goals towards peace, prosperity, progress, and sustainability for all”.
- In the evening, the Rt. Hon. Prime Minister met with the President of the United States of America H.E. Joe Biden during a reception hosted by the US President in honor of the leaders of delegations to the UNGA.
- Earlier in the morning, the Rt. Hon. Prime Minister also attended the welcome reception hosted by the UN Secretary-General for the leaders of delegations this morning.
- The Rt. Hon. Prime Minister received a courtesy call from H. E. Ms. Rabab Fatima, Under-Secretary-General and High Representative for the Least Developed Countries, Landlocked Developing Countries, and Small Island Developing States. Discussions were focused on matters pertaining to the promotion and protection of the interests of LDCs including the implementation of the Doha Program of Action (DPoA) and the graduation of Nepal from LDCs status.
- The Rt. Hon. Prime Minister had a meeting with the President of the Socialist Democratic Republic of Sri Lanka H.E. Ranil Wickremesinghe today on the sidelines of UNGA. They exchanged views on further strengthening relations and cooperation both at bilateral and multilateral fora including the United Nations.
- Similarly, Hon Minister for Foreign Affairs Mr. Narayan Prakash Saud had a meeting with Under Secretary-General for Operational Support H.E. Mr. Atul Khare on the sidelines of the UNGA. During the meeting, they discussed matters relating to Nepal-UN cooperation in different areas including peacekeeping missions.
- The Hon. Foreign Minister also met with CTBTO Executive Secretary H.E. Mr. Robert Floyd today and expressed Nepal's strong commitment to nuclear disarmament and extended support for CTBTO's work.
Permanent Mission of Nepal to the United Nations
19 September 2023