New York | DPI
The number of allegations of sexual exploitation and abuse committed by personnel serving with the United Nations dropped from 165 in 2016 to 138 last year, according to the latest report by the Secretary-General on implementing a zero-tolerance policy for these crimes.
The Special Coordinator on Improving UN Response to Sexual Exploitation and Abuse, Jane Holl Lute, outlined some of its main messages during a press conference at UN Headquarters in New York on Tuesday.
“The report underscores the Secretary-General’s consistent message that no one serving under the UN flag should be associated with sexual exploitation and abuse,” she said. “It remains one of his key priorities.”
Ms. Lute said data from 2017 indicates a “downward trend” in the number of allegations reported. Overall, there were 138 allegations last year, compared to 165 in 2016. Of this number, 62 concerned personnel deployed to UN peacekeeping and special political missions: down from 104 the previous year.
However, she said allegations emanating from other UN entities and their implementing partners increased over the same period: from 42 to 75. At the same time, there was “a sharp decline” in allegations involving non-UN forces, from 18 in 2016 to one in 2017.
Click HERE to read the full article on UN News.