Production Ceramic Tiles
for production ceramic tiles with capacity 3 million sq.m. per year
in Navoi Free Industrial Economic Zone (FIEZ), Republic of Uzbekistan
1. Project initiator: Joint Stock Company “Uzbuildingmaterils” – www.uzsm.uz .
2. Local demand: Project assumes to sell 60% of produced goods to the local market.
3. Export: 40% of goods are expected to export to CIS countries (Russia, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Afghanistan and others).
4. Manufacturers of ceramic tiles in Uzbekistan and region: ceramic tiles market of the Republic of Uzbekistan is valuable and perspective as production is highly demanded due to its price, design, consumer properties. The Republic’s annual requirement of ceramic tiles is not less than 5 mln. sq.m. that is growing regularly.
For the last 5 years the quantity of ceramic tiles in Uzbekistan is approximately 14 mln.sq.m. and up to 90-95% were imported. Demand for ceramic tile will be 8-10 mln. sq.m. within 2010-2015.
In 2008, three Uzbek enterprises on ceramic tiles production have made: “TashKSM” Stock Company (240 thous. sq.m.), and “Minokor” Company (50 thous. sq.m.), but “Agrokeramika” JV did not operate due to financial condition impairment and not timely currency credit returning.
In 2007, over 3,1 mln. sq.m. of various ceramic tiles (facing, floor, ceramic granite and others) were imported to Uzbekistan. Local manufacturers produced 250 thousand sq.m.
In 2008, over 3,70 mln. sq.m. of various ceramic tiles (8,63 mln. USD) were imported to the Republic.
5. The required land area including the land intended for production capacities, engineer infrastructure (m2/ hectare): 25-30 thousand sq.m. are already available in FIEZ.
6. Required engineering provision:
- railway branch construction
- 436 thousand cubic meters/year water supply
- 33,2 mln. K.W.H./year power supply
- 18,8 mln. cubic meter/year of gas supply with atmosphere pressure
- sewerage (thousand cubic meters/year).
7. Project’s costs: estimated costs depend on the chosen equipment. The proposed technological line charges are the following:
- ceramic tile production equipment - 10 mln. USD
- building and installation works - 9 mln. USD
- other costs - 8 mln. USD.
Project financing: direct foreign investment.
8. Terms of Project implementation: 24 months after financing started.
9. New jobs: 70 people, including management-10, engineers-10, and workers – 50.
10. Annual production: 3,0 million sq.m. (29,7 mln. USD).
- for local market – 1,8 million sq.m. (17,8 mln. USD);
- for export – 1,2 million sq.m. (11,9 mln. USD).
11. Annual Project’s profit: 29,7 mln. USD.
12. Project documents preparation: construction documents will be prepared after the approval of equipment supplier and feasibility study.
13. Demand in raw materials (materials and components), including the ones manufactured in Uzbekistan and imported: all raw materials required for ceramic tiles production, such as kaolin, silica sand, feldspar, dolomite, are available in Uzbekistan. Raw material for glaze is imported and makes 10% of production price.
Local raw materials located in Uzbekistan are applied for ceramic tile production (kaolin of Angren deposit, silica sand of Djeyron deposit, feldspar of Lyangar deposit, dolomite of Dekhkanabad deposit). Part of high quality active goods (sodium tripolyphosphate, boric acid, 10-water sodium tetra borate, zircon) will be obtained abroad. The share of local materials is 90% of total usage volume.
13.1. Angren kaolin-coal open-pit-mine is located in middle part of Angren valley in 80 km to the southeast from kaolin-coal open-pit-mine Tashkent City and connected with Tashkent with Angren railway branch. Kaolin investigated resources are located in the territory of operated coal pit and could be withdrawn together with coal.
Aparkat kaolin-coal open-pit-mine is located in 5 km to the west from operating coal open pit-mine and in 3,7 km to the north from Angren Station.
According to the detailed data, kaolin clay resources are 390 mln. ton.
Kaolin clay annual production: 0,3-0,5 mln. ton.
The specific weight of clay: 1,9 – 2 t/m3.
The main raw material for facing ceramic tiles production are kaolin derived clays which represent mottled kaolin clay, that is fat with rare quartz seeds.
Derived kaolin consists of large amount of fine-dispersed quartz undersized through sieve of 10000 holes/cm2 while enrichment process.
Grain-size composition of derived kaolin:
• fraction 2- 0,05 mm (sand) - 26-38,4%
• 0,5-0,005 mm (dust) – 16,8-44,9%
• and less than 0,005 mm (clay) – 38,6-81,9%
13.2. The Angren derived kaolin is a raw material with fireproof (refractoriness is 1580-1620˚ C), low dispersive, semi acid, moderate or average plastic, kaolinite clay, and low-grade of gross-grained inclusions in form of quartz, rock debris, low-sensitive to drying.
13.3. Andrey clay deposit is fireproof (refractoriness is 1570-1680 C), middle dispersive, semi-acid and the main is moderate or average plastic, kaolin hydro-micaceous clay raw material.
13.4. Feldspar concentrate of Lyangar deposit is the product of enriched and crashed deposit of granites and gabbro. The amount of alkali metal oxide makes 7,8 – 8,5%.
13.5. Sand: Bekabad deposit porphirete is the product of granite porphirete crashing of Bekabad deposit. The content of alkali metal oxide is 7.0 – 7.3%.
13.6. Silica sand: Djeroy silica sand deposit is located in Tamdin district, Navoi region, 14 km southward of Tamdimbulak administration centre, 60 km to the northeast from Zarafshan connected by main highways. The nearest railroad station is Yangi Zaafshan. Silica sands of Djeroy deposit comply with the local standards and are free-milling. It is not developed nowadays.
13.7. Dolomite: a major and the largest dolomite deposit in the republic is Dekhkanabad open cast mine with 2624 thousand tons of resources.
Additional raw material is glaze, which contents 8 components including boric acid, barium carbonate, zircon oxide, soda ash, clean sand, argil, cryolite.
14. Brief description of ceramic tile production technology:
1. Raw material sampling (for glaze inclusive)
2. Mix preparation (for glaze inclusive)
6. Glaze embossing
7. Another annealing