On 27 November 2008 the mixed committee of the JHA (Council of ministers for Justice and Home affairs) decided in Bruxelles that the Schengen and Dublin association agreements of Switzerland have been fully implemented on Friday 12 December 2008. From this date on Schengen visa are accepted to enter Switzerland.
Travelling to Switzerland
Who needs a visa - Which are the travel documents of all nationalities valid for
You will find useful information on the website of the Federal Office of Migration - FOM - Federal Office of Migration
How to obtain a Schengen visa
Documents that need to be presented when applying for a Schengen visa:
- One application for a Schengen visa
- Two pictures
- Passport (needs to be valid at least 3 months after having left the Schengen territory)
- Travel insurance
- Justifying documents with regard to the object and the duration of the stay (business or tourist trip or private traveling)
- Documents proving the intention for returning back
- The proof of sufficient means to cover the costs of your stay, such as salary statement from last month, latest bank statements of an account, saving book, credit cards, traveller's cheques etc. (min. requirements 100 CHF per day)
- Declaration of acceptance of financial liability
In general rules, the visas are delivered, following the situation, at least 5 days after the applying date .
Only a complete file submitted between 09.00 AM and 11.00 AM is accepted.
The fee of 60 € will not be refunded, for any reason, even if the visa is refused.
For further details concerning the documents to deliver, please kindly visit the website of the Federal Office of Migration:
Condition to obtain a Swiss visa for a stay longer than 3 months.
How to obtain a Swiss visa
EU nationals (from 25 European countries) who are resident in the European Community do not normally require a visa to visit Switzerland for the purpose of tourism, business trips and visits for a maximum stay of three months (work - paid or unpaid - or gainful activities not permitted) if they travel with a national passport and/or with the European ID card.
For visitors from other countries, you will find a visa application form in PDF: