Establishment of the Permanent Mission
of the USSR / the Russian Federation to the United Nations in New York
Permanent Mission of the USSR
to the United Nations in New York
was established under the UN Charter signed on 26 June 1945 at the conference
in San-Francisco, which came into force on 24 October 1945.
provisions on the immunities for representatives of the Organization’s Member
States in UN main and subsidiary bodies were laid down in the Convention on
Privileges and Immunities of the United Nations adopted by the UN General
Assembly on 13 February 1946.
April 1945 the staff for the Permanent Mission was approved by Decree of the
USSR Council of Ministers. The Mission, among its tasks,
was to actively participate in activities of principal and specialized
organizations of the UN system. The
location and deployment of the Permanent Mission was related to solving and
agreeing upon the more general question of the UN Headquarters location. The decision to choose the USA as a host
country for the United Nations was taken by the Preparatory Commission as early
as on 15 December 1945, however, the question was still discussed during 1946,
and the Headquarters Agreement between the United Nations and the United States
of America was only signed on 26 June 1945 to come into force on 21 November
status of the Permanent Mission of the USSR to the United Nations was also
defined under a resolution of the UN General Assembly of 3 December 1948 on
permanent representations to the United Nations, which defined the procedure
for appointing permanent representatives and the issue of their powers.