PASSPORT and VISA
1. Every foreigner entering Mongolia must be in possession of a passport valid at least for 6 months from date of entry into Mongolia.
2. Foreigner must have a Mongolian visa, except when bilateral arrangements provide for waiver of visa requirement. You may apply for visa at the diplomatic or consular mission of Mongolia in your country or in a location closest to you.
Please, click here to see the contact addresses of the Mongolian Embassies and Missions abroad or
Please, click here to obtain an information on visa requirements
Every tourist must complete a customs declaration form which should be retained until departure. Import and re-export of articles intended for personal use for duration of stay is allowed. It is prohibited to import and export:
· guns, weapons and ammunition without special permission
· explosive items
· radioactive substance
· opium, hashish and other narcotics
· pornographic publications
· publications, records, films, paleontological and archeological findings, collection of various plants and their seeds, birds, wild and domestic animals, raw skins and hides and furs without permission of appropriate Mongolian authorities.
Medical services are available everywhere. All necessary expenses connected with medical treatment are to be paid by patient.
The standard voltage in Mongolia is 220 volts/50 Hz. Sockets require a European two-pin type plug or adaptor.
There is no limit on foreign currency, traveler's checks, etc. brought to Mongolia. Foreign currency must be registered at Mongolian customs. The Banks have a network of branch and exchanging bureau at most hotels. There are duty free shops where convertible currencies are accepted. In these a wide range of goods may be bought for foreign currency at favorable prices - typical Mongolian souvenirs, furs, cashmere garments, camel wool blankets, national costumes, horns, etc.. in all other local shops only local currency is used. It is advisable to keep receipts as these may be required at customs on departure. Diners Club, American Express and Visa Card are accepted for at major hotels such as Bayangol, Chinggis khaan, Ulaanbaatar among others.
Rooms of deluxe, semi-deluxe, first class and tourist categories are available at the hotels in Ulaanbaatar and Mongolian Ger at the tourist camp.
Classic and national opera, ballet, folk concert and circus are main evening entertainments offered to tourists. Visits to evening entertainments is possible during the
weekends. Ulaanbaatar has a thriving night life with a number of very lively night clubs, pubs, and dance clubs.
Mongolia is the best place to cashmere products: sweaters, gloves, scarves, dresses, blankets, etc. As the country is one the world's leading producers of raw cashmere it offers very competitive prices as well as good design and quality.
Variety of art crafts is of interest to foreign travelers. Mongolia has a unique nomadic culture and arts/culture became one of its largest export items.
Mongolia is a remarkably sunny country that enjoys in average 280 sunny days in year. While the country re-known for its cold winter (it can be as cold as 30"C below zero), Mongolian summer is very warm with an average temperature 20"C above zero. Because of its continental location and high altitude, temperatures can vary, especially in the Gobi desert and mountains. It advised that you bring a warm sweater and a raincoat along with a sun glasses and hat.
TOUR OPERATORS in MONGOLIA
Please, click here to the list of some TOUR OPERATORS in Mongolia
MONGOLIAN VISA INFORMATION
Where can you apply for Mongolian visa?
You can apply for the Mongolian visa in person or by mail to the Permanent Mission of Mongolia to the United Nations at 6 East 77th Street, New York, NY 10021. Important: New regulations (effective from July 18, 2001) will apply for US nationals traveling to Mongolia. Please, click here for more information
What documents are needed to apply for Mongolian visa?
Following are the documents required:
1. Passport valid for at least 6 months from the date of entry to Mongolia
2. One application form Click here to download the Application Form
3. One passport-size photo
4. Travel itinerary (if the visit is for more than 7 days)
5. If you wish your passport to be returned to you by mail, prepaid envelope for return of passport by a Federal Express
A) Either an invitation of the receiving entity (state, government, non-governmental organization, business entity) or an official request of the sending country and the organization.
B) Or, for tourists wishing to stay over one week up to 90 days, a letter of invitation from a travel agency.
C) Or, if you are traveling on a personal invitation of a citizen of Mongolia, an invitation approved by the Civil Registration Information Centre, Police Department, Mongolia, and applicant's written statement concerning his/her financial credibility to cover his/her stay in Mongolia.
D) For those passing Mongolia in transit, onward ticket and visa for next destination is required.
7. AIDS test required for students and anyone staying longer than 3 months.
What is duration of validity of the Mongolian visa?
Single entry/exit and transit visas are valid for entry within 90 days from the date of issue.
Multiple entry visa is valid for a period of 6 months.
Important: Those who are planning to stay over 30 days are required to register at the Civil Registration and Information Department. Please, contact the entity that invited you to Mongolia regarding this matter.
Fees Charged for Mongolian visa?
A) Single entry-exit visa - US$30, valid for three months from the date of issuing. Canadian and UK citizens - US$55. Same day service (8 working hours) is available for additional service fee of US$30, and 55$US for Canadian and UK citizens.
B) Multiple entry-exit visa valid for six months - US$70; Same day service (8 working hours) is available for additional service fee of US$70,
C) Multiple entry-exit visa valid for one year - US$135; Same day service (8 working hours) is available for additional service fee of US$135
D) Transit visa - US$20, Same day service (8 working hours) is available for additional service fee of US$20
List of Countries and Regions with No Visa
List of countries and regions with non-visa
regime for all types of passport holders
1. Hong Kong - 14 days for all type of passports.
There is no visa fee for diplomatic and
official passports. Ordinary passport holders pay visa fee if they travel for more than 14 days.
2. Israel - 30 days for all type of passports
3. Kazakhstan - 90 days for all type of passports
4. Malaysia - 1 month for all type of passports
5. Philippines - 21 days for all type of passports
6. Singapore - 14 days for all type of passports
List of countries with non-visa arrangement
for diplomatic and official passport holders
1. Bulgaria - no visa for diplomatic and official passport holders. Ordinary passport holders need visa
2. Czech - no visa for diplomatic and official passport holders within 90 days. Ordinary passport holders need visa
3. Hungary - no visa for diplomatic and official passport holders within 30 days. Ordinary passport holders need visa
4. Mexico - no visa for diplomatic and official passport holders within 90 days. Ordinary passport holders need visa
5. Republic of Korea - no visa for diplomatic and official passport holders within 30 days. Ordinary passport holders need visa
6. Romania - no visa for diplomatic and official passport holders. Ordinary passport holders need visa
7. Russia - no visa for diplomatic and official passports within 90 days, ordinary passport holders need visa
8. Slovakia - no visa for diplomatic and official passport holders within 90 days. Ordinary passport holders need visa
9. Thailand - no visa for diplomatic and official passport holders within 30 days. Ordinary passport holders need visa
10. Turkey - no visa for diplomatic and official passport holders within 30 days. Ordinary passport holders need visa
11. Vietnam - no visa for diplomatic and official passport holders within 90 days. Ordinary passport holders need visa and no visa fee
1. China - no visa for all type of passport holders. Private travelers need visa
2. Laos - no visa for diplomatic, official and ordinary passport holders within 90 days. Private travelers need visa
3. DPRK - no visa for diplomatic, official and ordinary passport holders. Private travelers need visa
4. Yugoslavia - no visa within 90 days for diplomatic, official passport holders. Ordinary passport holders with the consulate mark indicating the business purpose
5. Cuba - no visa for diplomatic, official and ordinary passport holders within 30 days. Private travelers need visa
List of countries without visa fee
1. India - All type of passports need a visa, no visa applications, photos and fees required 2. USA- no visa for all type of passport holders, including A, H, J visas within 90 days.
Visit more than 90 days need visa, service charge - $100, no visa fee required
Mongolia has consular conventions with the following countries:
Afghanistan, Bulgaria, China, Cuba, Czech Republic, DPRK, Hungary, Laos, Romania, Russia, United Kingdom, USA, Vietnam, Yugoslavia.
Mongolia has treaties on mutual legal assistance with the following countries: Bulgaria, China, Cuba, Czech, DPRK, France, Germany, Hungary, India, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyztan, Poland, ROK, Romania, Russia, Turkey, Ukraine, Yugoslavia, Vietnam
Fees must be paid in US dollars by money order or certified checks payable to the Permanent Mission of Mongolia (personal checks are not accepted).
Where I can get additional information?
For additional information contact:
The Permanent Mission of Mongolia to the United Nations
6 East 77th street
New York, N.Y.10021-1704